FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Burm vs. Retic decision....
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
hhmoore
I'm not so sure "average" temperament should be your primary consideration, esp since there are so many things that can affect their demeanor at any given time (temperature, hunger level, shed cycle, light, surroundings). I have worked with both, as well as the other giant snakes, and my opinion is that you should base your decision on what you want AND what you can reasonably expect to take care of. Do you have someone you can count on to assist you with the care of a truly large snake - Have you ever seen a 16'+, 150#+ snake up close? Handled or worked with one? Just imagine the time when the two of you don't see eye to eye...say, it just doesn't want to go back into that cage. What if the 35# pig you gave it last week just didn't satisfy its appetite, and now you have to clean the cage and he's HUNGRY (or worse yet, you haven't fed him for a month and he wants food NOW!...and he and the cage are both soaked from urine). keep in mind what it will take to house him - are you willing to devote that kind of space for the next 20+ years? and better start thinking about food sources, and the COST of feeding them. Another consideration is legality. Maybe there isn't a problem in your area (whereever you are) yet, but what will you do when a nosey neighbor or 3 petitions the court because your pet's presence in the neighborhood frightens them...or when local or state law is enacted and you are told that you have 90 days to comply? will you be willing to pay the cost of a permit, if one is even offered? To go on the record and have it be public knowledge that you have such a creature in your home? Believe me, I'm not trying to dissuade you. I just want to make sure that you fully realize the long term potential. That said, IMHO, retics are much more interesting captives and, if I had the room to spare and a willingness to deal with the required permit, they would definitely be my choice