FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Info LLLReptile.com - Misrepresenting animals
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
DanGill
LLLReptile.com - Misrepresenting animals

A few days ago I came across a listing on LLLReptile.com's website for "het snow" leopard geckos. This immediately caught my attention, since "snow" is either a co-dom mutation or line bred in leopard geckos, and therefore you cannot get non-visual hets. I realize that the term "snow" is used to describe a myriad of morphs in other reptiles, all of which are inherited in their own specific way, and mistakes are easy to make. However, what prompts this post, is that after I made LLLReptile aware of the mistake, they did not change their listing. I have included their response below. I also included a screen shot of the listing.

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. We have been going over exactly that with customers interested in those animals to eliminate confusion about future breeding. The listing is a misnomer.
Most people educated about the morph genetics (like yourself) are aware of the difference, but the general public would not know.
We appreciate the email, it's good to know people are "looking out" for others

Sincerely,
Kate Larsen
LLLReptile & Supply Co. Inc.
www.LLLReptile.com
760-439-8492

In a message dated 6/17/2009 12:24:36 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, noreply@lllreptile.com writes:

You have animals listed on your website as "het snow" leopard geckos. This is not possible. There are two different strains of "snow." One is co-dominant, and therefore non-visual "hets" are not possible. An animal possessing a single copy of a co-dominant trait would be "snow" one with two copies a "super snow." The other is line bred - which is synonymous with the selectively bred tangerine geckos. When a tangerine is bred to a normal, you do not get "het tangerines" because it is not a single genetic mutation, rather many genes working together to get that specific outcome.

I just wanted to point this out so it's not misleading to potential buyers. I'm sure it gets confusing when the term "snow" is used for dozens of different species and is inherited in different ways in each.

Dan