FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Spider Research Survey Participation greatly appreciated!
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Morphie
Spider Research Survey Participation greatly appreciated!

x-posted elsewhere. If you've already filled one out, i got it, and i don't need you to fill out another one. Thanks!!

Before you fill out a survey, please read everything!! If you skip reading the instructions, i will know! If this happens, i can not count your answers and your time will be wasted

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far.

Below is a survey consisting of about 20 questions. If you have the time and patience, please fill out the survey by copying and pasting it into a reply to the thread, and type in an answer for each question for each of the spiders you own. If you answer the questions for multiple spiders (let's say you own three) please give me their names or a number you've assigned to them with each answer so i don't get their data mixed up.

Example:

"Snakeyspiderpants" is #1
"Snake-ette" is #2

How big is your snake (in grams?)

#1 48 g
#2 4000 g

How old is your snake?

#1 15 days
#2 21 years

This survey is just for SPIDERS in YOUR COLLECTION. No crosses, and no snakes you intend to sell PLEASE and THANK YOU!

Please do not fill out this survey for spider crosses (bees, etc.) There will be a separate survey for these animals. Thank you!

Feel free to omit any information you don't wish to share, but ***please*** try to keep your answers as accurate as possible! Finally, when you finish your survey type the word tigerlily at the end to prove that you read all associated instructions. Your data will not be counted unless you do this.

Yet again, thank you for your time. I can not adequately express my appreciation!

On to the survey (copy and paste the following)

1. Firstly, How did you find this Survey (you may omit this answer if you're answering here - this one is for those who fill out the survey on my livejournal and elsewhere)

2. What is your name/nickname/tag there? Or else please leave me an email address if you're willing to share more specific information (again you may omit this if you're answering here).

3. How old is your spider?

4. What sex is your spider?

5. How much does your spider weigh in grams?

6. From whom/where did you purchase your spider? If you have information about the spider's pedigree, please provide it here.

7. If your spider is big enough to breed, have you attempted to breed it? (if you answer yes to this question, I will likely attempt to follow up with more questions for you through whatever contact info i have for you.)

8. If your spider is *not* big enough to breed, do you intend to attempt breeding later?

9. What do you feed your spider? (please tell me the type of food offered, its approximate size, and whether it is live/pk/ft)

10. How often do you feed your spider?

11. On a scale of 1-10 rate how regularly your spider eats during the warm months. (1 being not at all and 10 being every time food is offered)

12. Does your spider have a noticeable head tilt (head is cocked to one side when lifted/not resting on a stable surface)? If yes, is this intermittent or constant?

13. Does your spider "wobble" (unable to hold still when head is lifted/not resting on a stable surface) If yes, is this intermittent or constant?

14. Has your spider ever displayed unusual movement behaviors such as appearing confused or panicked for no obvious reason, slithering in weird directions, flipping upside down or rolling? If yes, please describe the behavior in detail.

15. If you answered yes to 14, how old was your spider when it started? Approximately how much did your spider weigh in grams when it started?

16. If you answered yes to 14, on a scale of 1-10 how often does this behavior occur? 1 being it's only ever happened once, 10 being it happens constantly.

17. yes or no, have you ever had any non-spider snake (non-spider means no spiders or crosses that involve spiders) exhibit wobbling, head-tilting, or motor problems? If yes, what is the morphological background of this snake? (Please do not count cases of snakes that had this problem due to an injury or illness such as IBD. I'm looking for otherwise healthy/normally functioning snakes.)

18. Please briefly describe each aspect of your spider's living quarters. Please provide information about the enclosure material (glass, plastic etc), substrate material, presence of hides, and your target temps/humidity.

19. How many days a week do you handle your spider? And for approx. how long?

20. How many ball pythons are in your total collection (snakes you don't intend to sell)? and are you a hobbyist, breeder, or professional breeder?

21. prove that you read the instructions before starting:

This concludes the survey for now. I may attempt to get in touch with individuals again later for additional data depending on your answers. Thanks again for your help!!

one last time: THANK YOU!