FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Anyone see this ad on KS????
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 12:42 AM   #51
snakegetters
I didn't realize he was a minor. Okay, call off the legal dogs on the kid, but if this veterinarian does exist then the local regulatory boards need to have a chat with him.

I really cannot see a veterinary professional allowing a 15 year old to assist in surgeries on venomous snakes. If there really is a vet doing that, he is risking extremely serious consequences. If the kid was bitten, that would pretty much be it for the vet's career. If the animal died and the owner pursued a legal case for negligence, same story. I'm inclined to believe that the vet doesn't exist.

Understand that venomoid surgery is very serious and invasive, a lot worse than a root canal in a human. Ever had major dental work done? Bet it hurt, even if the dentist gave you pain relief medication. Imagine how much it would hurt if somebody did it with a razor blade and no pain medication or anesthesia. That's how most snakes get venomoided.

So yeah, we get pretty upset when people come on the forums talking about how easy it is to do this horrible thing to a snake because they don't want to bother learning how to care for it properly. Hopefully a lesson will have been learned here about how responsible reptile keepers regard venomoiders.