FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Best Dwarf Bci locality
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #14
Krj-2501
T
Quote:
hat's simply not true about Hogs. I had completely pure animals, all of which were either traceable directly back to Bob Sears or Dick Georgen and I had a male that was around 5' and my adult female was about 6 1/2'. They were much lighter bodied than Colombian animals or even mainland CA animals, but they were relatively long.

Actually it is true - at least from a certain point of view. Here is what I mean - the Cayos Cochinos (Hogg Islands) are no larger than Caye Caulker or Caye Crawl in overall size. And the wild original Hog Island Boas were also as small as the Caulker Cay/Crawl Cay boas - in other words were about 5 feet/1.52 meters (maximum). But the Hog Island Boa have now been bred in captivity for about 3 decades (7-10 generations). So that it is likely 7-10 generations of very well feeding and possible some cases a bit of over feeding - so now the maximum size of the pure blood CB Hog Island Boas is about 7 feet/2.13 meters for females. And the average adult size of CB Hog Island boas - is still about 5 feet.

Now as for overfeeding. Keep in mind that this is a fairly common problem seen in most of the "big" constrictors snakes. Also remember that the wild - on their native island homes - it is doubtful that adult Hog Island boas would eat more than 12-24 rodents/prey per a year. By comparison - in captivity adult Hogs are often feed 26-52 rodents per year. And in some cases - they may be regularly feed rodents which are about 25-50% greater than the snakes girth. The end result is a snake which is quite a bit larger and fatter than it's wild counterpart.

Quote:
And you're actually a bit long in my experience on the Caulker and Crawl Cay animals. I don't think I've ever seen a Crawl or Caulker cay much over 4' if that long.
Well - according to the online information - I have seen - the maximum size for the Caulker Cay and Crawl Cay Boas is listed at about 5 feet/1.5 meters. But the average adult size for these two dwarfs seems to be about 4 feet/1.22 meters.