FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Hurricane Irma
Thread: Hurricane Irma
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
WebSlave
Looks like they revised the track a bit east from what they showed yesterday. Pretty much back to what it was 2 days ago.

Connie and I ran out to Sam's Club yesterday and the place was mobbed. Lots of people buying batteries and other stuff that looked like emergency rations and supplies. We then stopped in at the Publix grocery store, and they were completely sold out of bottled water in all forms. Remind me not to go out on shopping errands when a hurricane is in the forecast. The only reason we went out was because I had to return a loaner hedge trimmer the local Stihl dealer let me try out, and since we were out anyway, decided to run a few errands.

The media appears to be hyping up the storm as "the most powerful storm ever recorded in the Atlantic." I was watching a video showing how the storm was even registering on seismic detectors in the area.

If the storm's center moves far enough to the east of us, we won't have any notable weather here beyond a little wind, and probably no associated wind. If it makes landfall close to us to the west, then that's when things would get hairy. Hopefully it will just swing even further eastward and just stay out in the Atlantic. Of course many of the Caribbean islands are pretty much screwed. Waves are close to 50 ft. high near the eye.

If I lived in the Miami/Homestead area, I would be making preparations NOW. You probably can't find generators in south Florida at all at this point. And my guess is that all of the dealers have terminated their return policies on them, for those people intending to just "borrow" them for the duration of the storm.