FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Hurricane Irma
Thread: Hurricane Irma
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #16
Helenthereef
I've now seen photos from St Maarten, and I think, as usual, how worried you should be about this storm depends on your location and the construction of your home.

There were large storm surges that flooded low lying coastal areas, and many smaller houses lost tin roofs and in some cases cement and concrete walls cracked and broke. A lot of trees came down and brought electricity lines with them. Many vehicles were damaged and flooded out. Small and medium sized boats (yachts and cruise ship transfer vessels) have been thrown up onto shore. Apparently on the northern half of the island the four largest buildings were badly damaged. Some beach bars have been buried in sand.

Having said that, the place where I used to work, an 8 storey concrete hotel right on the seafront of the main town on the south coast, seems to be fine, maybe some superficial damage, but windows, walls and roof seem intact from the initial photos. However the pier and boardwalk were taken out. Other hotels have lost roof sections on exposed hill tops, but main structures seem to have survived.

So, I'd say rationally assess your house. If you're over a mile from shore, in a sheltered area, don't have large trees overhanging your place, are on higher ground and have a well constructed and maintained building, then store some food, fuel and water, board up and sit it out.

However if you are close to shore, on flat ground liable to flood, and your building might be a bit on the shaky side, I'd be getting out now. I've sat through Hurricanes and Cyclones, and it sounds exciting and glamorous at first but the reality is uncomfortable and dull - unless it gets dangerous and terrifying. And remember there's another one close behind, so this might be days shut up at home without power, communications or entertainment.

Wishing you all in the potential storm path all the best, whatever your choices are.

PS - just started a new thread in the hopes that some of you can share tips on how to prepare for hurricanes, for general home, but maybe also for reptile collection survival purposes.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...=1#post2027588