FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Housing Multiple Snakes
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
I'm not sure where you got your information from, but water snakes and garters do not have the same humidity and temperature needs. Even more importantly, they have very different habitat needs. Cornsnakes are typically more terrestrial, dwelling in forests, shrublands, and fields. Waters and garters are semi-aquatic in nature, usually residing near swamps and other bodies of water; their captive habitat should reflect this.
-------------
I never house snakes together. First and foremost, there's the risk of cannibalism, even among species you wouldn't expect (even cornsnakes). I have personally witnessed a cornsnake eating another of its own kind. Other species I have also seen are, the aforementioned garter snakes, children's pythons, and other U.S. ratsnakes.

Secondly, there's the issue of disease and parasite transmission. Snake mites are a very realistic threat. If one snake somehow ingests any fluid or fecal matter from another (often only by crawling over or through a pile of feces), it will likely contract whatever the other animal has. Its just simply not worth the risk.

Thirdly, although there may not be any direct hostility from each other, just simply being in the presence of another animal in the same enclosure (regardless of size) can stress out one or both snakes. Depending on the health and species involved, this can lead to a loss of appetite.
-------

If you want to get another snake, I highly suggest getting a whole new cage for it. Don't mix snakes together.