FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - 7'-6" Rattler bites man in Morganton
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2004, 02:57 PM   #28
psilocybe
Re: positive actions

Quote:
Originally posted by amabilis
First, I would like to agree with Tannith. I've seen it first hand here in "Round up Land". I now have hardened ranchers (SNAKE KILL IT!!!) call me or even bring me rattlers. Why, because I helped to teach them about the dangers and benefits of rattlesnakes (and others). The facts are right in front. Most (around 90%) bites are people trying to catch, tease, or kill a rattlesnake (AP Network News 98). Some of these folks are in REAL rural areas and have "few options" but to kill the snake (rattlesnakes' heads are dangerous up to 48 hours after decapitation, Klauber decaptitated 30 or so animals to get this info, if you don't have his books...buy them), yet, through talking and educational shows some of these rural folks now call me to remove the snakes. What does this tell us? Education, education, education. These people are hardcore ranchers, REAL cowboys, not some Yuppie who wants to get back to the real life. People who have seen snakes killed by relatives for generations. Yet, they have changed their stance because of better information. If it was only one rancher who would call me instead of grabbing a shovel, it would be worth it. But, it is now several ranchers and the Sherrifs department who call for snake rescues....Priceless.
Bottom line is Tannith is right. There are far too many options in the year 2004, I mean come on, we've put SEVERAL people on the moon for crying out loud!!!!! Why on earth would it be OK to use death as an option for a little snake, even if it bit someone??

David Furphy
AKN Venom & Exotics
Alamogordo NM
Very well put David, I couldn't have said it any better.
By the way, I live just south of you in Las Cruces, it sucks that you live right in Roundup country, but at least we have someone on our side fighting the good fight up there!