FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Cobra on the loose in California
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
j_dunlavy
you beat me to the post.
Just an example of why I keep harping that venomous keepers need to be extremely careful, and extremely strict on sales. (not to say that most are not careful; most are very careful)

If it is from a keeper with a permit, allowing an escape and not reporting it is just irresponsible and negligent; If this was an illegal pet, not only is it irresponsible of the owner, it could fall down to the seller if they knowingly sold to someone who cannot legally keep it.
The fact that it bit a dog will really not help with pro snake PR either.

I know I am preaching to the choir, but Please tighten things up if you keep venomous snakes; revisit your protocols, double check that your enclosures and snake room are escape proofed, etc.

Full text:

Venomous Albino Cobra on the Loose for Days in Southern California
By KAMI DIMITROVA 13 hours ago Good Morning America

The snake was originally identified by a dog owner owner after the snake reportedly attacked his dog and sent him to the hospital in critical condition Monday night.

The search team is focusing on the vicinity of the dog attack on 1300 block of Rancho Lane, ABC's Los Angeles station KABC reported. The snake is most active during morning or evening hours when it is cooler, experts said.

Officials were notified Tuesday evening that the snake was on the loose. They do not know how long it’s been out or where it came from.

The species is not native to California and it is illegal to own a monocled cobra without a permit, authorities said.

The dog that was bitten has since recovered, authorities said, noting that no other injuries have been reported.