FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Finding BIG Black Rats
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 09:37 PM   #15
snakester
Big Black Rats...

Ok... so this is in SC, but...
While I was bottle hunting (I like to hunt for reptiles and old bottles) I picked up an old tire and tossed it to the side so I could look through the pile of junk under it. just then I saw some thing move in the corner of my eye, I looked and there was the body of a "large" snake! I looked around and found two sticks and started to try to get the snake out. Finally I got the tail out of the tire and saw to my delight that there were no rattles, so I grabbed his tail and started to pull him out as carefully as I could! I was very nerves because it was one of the first times I had caught a snake! so when I got it out I wanted to be 100% sure it was not a HOT snake! so I stepped on his head very lightly and looked at his eyes. I had already looked at the tail to try to see if it was ok or not but was not 100% sure of how to tell by the tail. So after I caught it I kept it for a while 'till I found out it was illegal to own any thing native to GA where we were living at the time, so I sold it to a friend for $30.00 then when we started to move I bought it back for the same price. When I caught it it was a little under 5 & 1/2 ft. and I kept it three years 'till it was 6 ft.
I could not sell it because it was such a common snake around there. So I had to let it go. I know it was not the best thing to do but I had kept it wild so I think and hope it will/is ok!

I will put some pics of it on here when I find them!

P.S. It was my absolute favorite snake... (and I have had several!)!