FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - any advice or tips for a potential hot keeper
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Matt

If it is going to be another year or two before you get a hot, no need to order the hook now.
I'm inclined to disagree, Lucille. "NOW" isn't a requirement; but if he's interested in working with hots, he should become proficient with the tools & relearn everything from a "hands off" perspective. Even though nothing acts like a pi$$ed off rattlesnake on a hook, he should definitely get used to using hooks for routine chores - moving snakes and cage items, opening and closing cage doors, etc. If he isn't comfortable doing the mundane stuff with a hook, he's got no business putting a rattlensake on the other end of one. For the sake of safety, using hooks should be second nature by the time the venomous snake comes.

Hooks are a matter of taste, though if you are starting out, you quickly get used to what you have. Midwest makes some incredible hooks that are very lightweight. I learned with hooks made by a friend (from the shafts of old golf clubs)...they're bulky in comparison to a lot of the stuff out there, but I've been using them for nearly 20 yrs. I played around with some of the fancy stuff a few years ago, while contemplating a purchase - real nice, but they just didn't feel right to me. I stuck with my old ones.
If you have the opportunity - go to a show and try out some of the hooks that are available. Find a couple that feel good to you (I also suggest having a couple on hand - possibly in slightly different lengths, or with different shaped hooks. I'd stick with comparable items, though, so they have a similar feel). You might want to think about getting a tong, as well - I don't like them for manipulating snakes; but they're great for removing water bowls, hides, or other cage items.
18 inch hemostats are another item I'd recommend. They come in 24", but none of the ones I've seen in that size range have grooved jaws; which means that you won't have the same grip. Dropping things sucks.