FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - good beginner venomous snake
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 10:40 PM   #110
CFoley
My views of venomous keeping MINORS, PLEASE READ.

I am attempting to bring the subject back a few pages, sorry if I repost, or fall off, I did not read ALL 22 pages...

None of the follow do I recommend, I am just showing my venomous steps to help guide people in the right direction...

I am currently 17, becomming legal this monday the 17th.

I have kept venomous as a minor for about 4 years or so.

I started when I was approx. 14 years of age, with a pair of copperheads that I kept in an aquarium with books on it. I then moved to a pair of T. albolabris, kept pretty much the same way. In my defense, I killed none of these animals, I did my research, I was just ignorant of proper caging. I then went from various vipers, pit vipers, so on and so on. Yeah, now you can yell, scream, threaten my life....If I was you id be on the way to my house now with a shot gun.

Anyway, I learned of proper caging approx. a year after I began keeping. I aquired a pair of timber rattlers and a decent pair of vision cages too. They thrived and bred for me giving me 7 babies. From here I hadnt learned my lesson, and I shipped them through Airborne. YUP KILL ME AGAIN. I deserve it.

Gulp....when I was somewhere in my 16th year, I aquired my first Naja, it was Naja naja (spectacled), he did quite well. I kept him for a year or two, and traded him for an EA green mamba (gulp again). The stories go on and on and on....

Anyway, to this date, I currently own 1.2 Naja kaouthia ( 1.1 albino 0.1 het), 1.1 Naja pallida, 1.0 Naja naja (indian), and recently lost an imported forest cobra.

Once again in my defense: I have become an extremist when it comes to safe keeping. I NEVER have and never well handle any venomous snake. I even rarely hook a snake, I tail and hook only to inspect. I own bags, tongs and hooks. I stand by dividers and trap boxes.

Do I premote such a story as the above? NOT AT ALL. I very well could have added the the hobby declining as it is currently approaching, and in these next few days I could....I am not saying anyone have to or even should agree with my current placement. I have only had one close call as far as being bitten, in which I take the blame for, I pushed my limits and never will again. Me being bitten could potentially ruin my life, the hobby, and my bank account. All things riding against me, Im still here. I do not recommend such a thing to anyone for the laws and the money involved.

If it werent for laws, Id base venomous keeping on knowledge and maturity. Not to boast or brag, but I would place myself higher than many many many adults. Anyone can be quite irresponsible when ignorance lack of common sense, or ego arrises.

I stress too all of you minor keepers reading this. Please, do yourself and the hobby a favor and wait until you are legal. I regret my wrong doings, and I am very close to legal and will continue my safe keepings right through then. From what I see, Snakekid, the originator this thread has his head in the right place. He is willing to wait, and it is a wise decision.

I could talk about this all day, and ive already rambled too much about it as is, but remember, one slip up could take your life, your money, and your future. If you live through a bite or any other complication, you could ruin your chances of ever keeping hots again. You have your entire life to work with hots, with the wrong moves you may only have an entire few hours.

Any questions feel free to contact me, or continue it on the thread, I feel that Ive come around well and would be glad to assist anyone feeling that they could be approaching my position, or anyone in general looking to get into hots.

Sorry for the overlong post.

Chris Foley