FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Adenovirus Document from University of Florida
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #73
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Of course you can breed it out of an animal, you can just not start with a postive on to begin with & then you don't have to worry about breeding it out of them! That is pretty easy to figure out.
Apparently, the US is the only country having this type of trouble with the species. We have not treated this species correctly. We are overbreeding, exploiting the animals, for greed & knowingly spreading the virus. People are not quarantining like they are supposed to because they are in such a hurry to breed. That is NOT going to fix a thing.
There are other jobs you can do besides breeding. So be it if you have to stop breeding for awhile. It isn't about you, it's about the dragons. When are some of you going to just figure that out & quit arguing about it.
Selective breeding cannot even start right now with so many positive animals. Sure some get sick, & some don't. Like I said, do you really want to have all postive animals when you could have a negative one?
Yes, others have better immune systems than others, but we wouldn't have to worry about that so much if there weren't virus' hanging out waiting to knock them out. Sure nature doesn't select the weak, & unfortunately there isn't much we can do about that. However, being born with the virus makes them vulnerable to disease more so than just having weak genetics such as being small or inbred.
I would never advocate breeding positives, ever. That just doesn't give the species a chance at all. This mentality of everyone thinking that dragons
ALL have adenovirus is just ridiculous. If that is the case, why haven't we heard about Adeno outbreaks in Australia, since that is where they are originally from? It barely exists, & I don't think there are any documented cases. Their quarantine restrictions are very strict. WE could learn some valuable lessons from them regarding their regimes.
If the american dollar is all that is driving everything around with bearded dragons, then, breeders must not think much of their product. The animals are suffering at our expense & it's time to put them first over money. If you ultimately care about the species like you claim to, that will not be a problem. There are always jobs. Breeding should be for the love of the species, not greed, but I can see that most of you have forgotten that.
I agree with LK, that the ones who get annoyed most have the most to lose. She is not alone in her thoughts, that is for sure. I have no guilt, either & nothing to gain from anything, except knowledge.
Sure things have gotten started, but no one wants to set any standards & be held accountable for anything, as everyone is waiting for someone else to do something. There always has to be a first.

Tracie