FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - relocating
Thread: relocating
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2003, 11:14 AM   #16
sschind
Richie,

I respect your attitudes towards your pets, and you are free to make the choice to keep whatever you want. However, if by some chance you are keeping animals that are against state or local regulations (sounds like you don't know) are you prepared to pay the fines and suffer the consequences if you are caught. I pretty much feel as you do, and even though I know several people who are keeping animals that are illegal (and they know it also) it doesn't bother me because they are being cared for and these people are acting responsibly with them. If they are busted however, they will get no sympathy from me (nor will you) I know that a lot of these laws suck, and are very unreasonable, but the fact is they are the laws. If you choose to ignore them don't come to me for support if you get caught. Depending on the circumstances I may be willing to lend a hand in getting such laws changed but I won't donate money for a legal defense fund or anything like that. (see note to Kat below) Of course this may not neccesarily apply to laws that are vague, rather to laws that are pretty straight foreward. No venomous, no crocodilians, no constrictors over X' long etc.

Kat

On the surface the laws seem fairly relaxed in El Paso county but they also seem pretty vague (as do most animal laws I suppose) What do they consider exotic or dangerous. Seems to me like they could be real jerks about it if they wanted to and they got the right complaints from the right people. With these types of laws it would be possible to get my support if you were busted (see response to Ritchie above) with say a leopard gecko or a corn snake. These laws are vague and open to a lot of interpretation.

Steve Schindler