FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - good beginner venomous snake
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 12:26 AM   #56
snakegetters
On the drug issue again, I don't see how anyone who keeps a large number of venomous snakes can regularly drink or use drugs in serious quantity and be a responsible keeper. On any given day, the odds are fairly good that at least one snake is going to lay a big fresh wet one in the water bowl, where it should be removed immediately before that snake takes a drink. What do you do if you are under the influence and you walk into that situation? Your choices are to leave the snake in an unhealthy, unsanitary state, or to work with venomous snakes while drunk or drugged. Both are pretty bad choices.

I may have an occasional beer or glass of wine with dinner after a thorough cage cleaning session. I don't use any drugs but I would not condemn someone who had a small amount of marijuana under the same circumstances (preferably not on the same premises as the snakes). But getting frequently impaired to the point that you could not give responsible care to your snakes for many hours or days is not a good thing.

Maybe if you had an experienced handling partner living with you, and you took turns getting drunk? LOL That way there would always be a sober handler on call to deal with things like poopy waterbowls or veterinary situations.