FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Why mechanics love women!
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
ZX11
As a technician, I find this funny. As a Shop manager, it is appalling. I am both, defined as a "working manager". To top it off, I am a manager of a Midas shop.

I know some shops do these scams, some thrive on over selling. I don't and will fire anyone doing such. I also have another shop, motorcycles to be exact. In neither does over selling occur. I would rather earn money for products and services the right way than lose valuable customers because they spent too much money on repairs. Note how I phrased that.

Most customers don't know they were scammed. They only know they spent too much at that shop and will seek others next time.

My theory is that if it is not of dire emergency, skip it. Make the customer know what to expect and always SHOW the customer what is wrong, not just tell them. I also show them the part{s} removed and replaced and offer to give the parts to the customer. This builds customer confidence and customer base.

If a part, or parts, are required, I show the customer what and explain why, how much and options at the customers' disposal. Let them decide from there, without pressure.

Sadly, not all repair facilities agree with theory. But, it has kept me employed all my life.