FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Eastern DiamondBack Rattlesnake's
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #55
54bogger
WARNING; HANDLING VENOMOUS SNAKE'S IS DANGEROUS!!!

Up until this time I've used two snake hook's to pick the snake's up and move them around. Now I begin using one hook for the front of the snake while gently picking them up from the tail (tailing). Before reaching down to pick up the tail I put the loop of the snake hook about 8 inch's behind the snakes head but I'm careful not to touch the snake with it because I don't want them to feel their being restrained. Once I do that I pick up the tail and hold it gently, if the snake becomes really nervous I'll set the tail down and give the snake time to calm down and begin again, this is a process that takes time! there's no short cut's. When I'm able to hold the tail without the snake getting nervous I use the hook to lift the front of the snake, I'll gently pick the snake up off the ground just a little at first until they get used to it. As they get used to it I'll raise them higher but slowly they tend to get nervous if lifted to high to soon. When their used to being lifted in this manner then I'll begin moving them around in the pen holding them this way. This step is repeated over and over for some time before moving to the next step.