FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Western Hognose Growth & Feeding
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
ceruleanblue
Western Hognose Growth & Feeding

Hi everyone! Looking to get my first hognose soon, and had some questions about age and feeding. I am new to snakes and reptiles in general, and try to learn as much as possible before I bring in a new pet.

How fast do hognoses typically grow? What ages do you refer to them as hatchling, juvenile, subadult, adult? Is there any reliable way to estimate the age of a snake if it's unknown?

How quickly do they usually move up in feed sizes? I'm also wondering if it's usually best to buy feeders in smaller quantities, or okay to buy in bulk? I'm only planning on the one snake, and don't have anything else that would eat the feeders, so I'm guessing smaller quantities would be better for me (and equal fresher food for the snake)...

I was also strongly leaning towards getting a male, because they stay smaller when full grown, but was wondering if there were any other major differences between the sexes (personality, etc)?

Thanks for answering my questions! I know I ask a lot, lol, but I'm always trying to learn.