FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Jamaican Boas Breeding
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #275
cguarino30
Not a great night. All holdbacks ate without issue. This is almost always the case. I'm not sure if it is the fact that they are always offered chick thighs, or if it is because they were all selected for appetite/vigor, among other things. Probably a combination of the two.

T1 ate the f/t anole.

The stubborn non-holdback (who will now be referred to as T4, for brevity's sake) did not eat the anole-scented pinkie. I think I am going to move T4 to a f/t anole diet, and then try to transition to anole-scented pinkies, as I am doing with T1 and will be doing with T3 shortly.

T3 did not eat last night, and seems to be taking his time a bit now that he has caught up. Probably a good thing, seeing as how he has eaten almost 10 anoles in 2 weeks.

2 out of 3 unscented pinkie eaters ate, which is good.

However, of the scented pinkie eaters, only one out of seven ate the scented pinkie. These were f/t pinkies scented with chick brains, which should have done the trick, especially considering the 2 week fasting period. Despite my efforts, I have not been able to recreate the numbers I got that one week. I have a theory on this. The only thing I can narrow down as having been different that week was that I fed the Jamaicans after I fed my hatchling house snakes, some of whom were given pinkies washed in ivory soap. I often use the ivory soap method to get stubborn colubrid hatchlings to eat, and I'm wondering if the residual soap in the cup (I used the same cup) helped to wash the pinkies before scenting. Next week, I will try washing the pinkies in ivory soap for the scented pinkie eater group, and we will see if I can recreate the numbers from a few weeks ago.