FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Any women here actually field collect?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
old guy
I'm like you John

Have wondered about this and in my 40 plus years of doing all, hate to admit it that the cautionary side of women doing this would invoke possibly dangerous scenarios if alone or just women doing so. While I have watched several programs of women collectors in field, but there was always a male counter part there in some capacity. I know of women breeders but field collectors, no. This can even be seen on women any animal filed observers and the famous included like Jane Goodal. When she did a lecture at my daughters school and slide show, the pics always had a male person in the background. Obvious for more reasons than one though. Fact of a trip in Big Bend region of the above dangerous scenario : about 7 of us down one year all staying at the same place. 2 of the 7 males including me had our women aboard. Out of the 7 field collectors who do you suppose got more noticed, more talk, more interest as to what we found or saw ? Out of 7 of us and the 2 females how many of us got the side glances, smiles, direct communications, and out-of-the-way hellos and good byes ? This was not only herpers but locals as well. Catch my drift..........