FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Any women here actually field collect?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
John Albrecht
I can understand a women being cautious. It would probably be best for noone, regardless of sex, to head into the field alone. A lot can happen.

What I'm really wondering is, how many women enjoy the rigors of collecting when the opportunity avails itself and what they like to collect.

When I go collecting in Okeetee, there are very few people that can keep up with me. You got to really like it, a whole lot, to put yourself through what I go through. A typical day for me consist of hiking about 15 miles through mostly swamp and other terrain. Chased by hoards of deerflys in the sunlight and swarmed by mosquitos in the shade. Then of course, there are all the wasp. They are under boards, under bark, basically everywhere. I find myself suddenly having to sprint about 12 or 15 times after I'm already exhausted. I'm soaking wet from the swamp and from sweat.

Then, when I'm all done and finally find my truck again I get to relax with some leach and tick pulling.

Not all days are that rough though. Sometimes I find so many snakes that I never need to cover that kind of terrain. Last year I found 12 Scarlet Kings and 2 cornsnakes in just one morning alone, along with a bunch of other stuff. I took the afternoon off and headed for the beach.