FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Breeding size of adult female boas
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #65
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
She is the reason I have finally purchased a snake hook. Doesn't mattery if it's feeding time, picture time or just cleaning day, she can get 3/4 of her body at me, everytime.
I start my boas very early with a "tap on the head" from my snake-hook. I prefer teaching them while they're still small that, that means NO FOOD is coming. And when they sometimes forget, it serves to control them without feeling their teeth! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker414 View Post
Oh my! I'm glad I saw this posting. I just recently acquired an 08 hypo het moonglow. She is about 6 ft and weighs just over 12 lbs. The guy I got her from advised that I feed her a medium rat every 5 days and on the 4th feeding make it a large. This is supposed to add more muscle mass for breeding this fall. What are your opinions on this feeding regimine through the summer?

For the record I'm accustomed to feeding weekly; '10's on pups until ready for small, 09's on mediums and 08's on large.
That's way too often. I used to over-feed, but I've noticed a huge difference in their activity level and lean muscle since I cut back what I offer. Always give them a large enough meal (without leaving such a lump that they can't coil, or move freely) and they'll be fine with a meal every 2-3 weeks.