FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New Mexico state law issues
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #31
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj-mitchell View Post
I understand that animals can adapt to abnormal circumstances and live places they shouldnt, and was not intending this to be an insult toward any one .... That statement came from the woman that handles alot of the permit info, I believe her name is Latisha or something simmilar. I have never had any dealings with the state herpetologist and am not second guessing his judgement, he is put in a very difficult spot deciding what can be and cannot. I can assure you I would never want to be in his shoes no matter what decision you make you are going to make someone mad. I just had hopes that the people that decide on permits were better informed
Oh, I didn't mean to make that statement in a way that it could be construed as me backing up Game and Fish. I would not want to be in Charlie's shoes either. I just meant that I was going to ask him to see if he knows anything about it. It sounds like someone may have let an alligator go, when they found out that they need a permit to own them.
I believe that I have spoken to that woman before, I was looking to set up a 125 gal for some rainbow trout. Too much work right now for a college student...lol
One thing that I seem to remember reading somewhere, is that it is up to the Head of the State Game and Fish dept., to determine which of the animal species are under what category, and he/she can change it at whim. It's really upsetting if that is true, while we as citizens can probably try and push for more lenient laws, the head of the the department can go the opposite way and knee jerk reaction our ownership of the animals that we care for into oblivion.