FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Xeno eating his first RAT! WOO!
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokele View Post
But "A snake with primitive osteological and anatomical characters" is a bit of a mouthful.
lol i like it! ( but i like the latin for them better than i do the common name too... im weird like that.

Quote:
you know, ive seen those before, the images at least. i never actually LOOKED at the quicktime movies of the slices/scans. Holy COOL. I never opened up my guys mouth to notice that they have two rows of upper teeth! THAT, is wicked! But i did know that their teeth are actually attached to... What are they called? little ligaments? so they move inside the jaw. * im pretty sure im remembering that right* Which is something i thought was really really neat.

Quote:
Well, fossorial technically refers to their burrowing (hence the similarity to mud snakes).

As for studies, Nate Kley from SUNY Stonybrook has been using them (along with a wide assortment of other snakes) in his research on feeding. Apparently they're capable of far more jaw expansion than you'd think with a skull like theirs, almost as much as some pythons.
Ah, i understand now.

I never really thought about the expansion much. ( would make me wary of feeding large prey) What exactly did he find out? ( if you want to point me to his research, id be happy to look)

Quote:
Let me know if you find a scientific paper you need access to; I can get most of the journals in pdf format.

Unfortunately, some guesswork may be involved - a lot of fossorial snakes don't have much fieldwork done on them.

Mokele
Thanks a bunch, i really do appreciate that. It really might come in handy once i start to get looking for the info ( i sporadically do now and then, and have some pages printed up about the weather and such)

I dont mind messing with the guesswork, i plan on talking to some of the others who have bred them as well to see if they will share any information in regards to temperatures the eggs were incubated at and such, and whatever else they might have going for them. Im going to keep notes on it, so i can later put it up somewhere online. Id really really love to see a captive bred population in the states, instead of WC stuff.