FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Indigo umbilical scar
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
bmwdirtracer
Please don't take any offense at my reply, my friend; none is meant, but I am a lover of these snakes, and must share my response to your post:

I'd wonder about the term "umbilical scar" anyway, Stan. An umbilical cord is very much a mammalian feature - there is no "umbilical" anything on any reptile. I'd wonder how you've come to the conclusion that split scutes on any Indigo differ from split scutes on another Indigo, just by their number or location.

Certainly, "the FAMOUS Indigo scar" is not famous, or we'd all know about it. Considering your new involvement with the species, I think that declaring two split scales to be okay, and more to be a 50% monetary flaw, is a bit presumptuous. Maybe you're looking for a refund from the guy who sold you a snake with 7 split scales?

I have communicated quite extensively with some of the best known breeders of these special snakes, including those who are magnificently careful about preventing even the tiniest degree of shared genes between parents. Unfortunately, we have laws which prevent new genetics from being introduced to the captive populations....maybe you'll add your voice to convincing USFWS that this is counterproductive.

Meanwhile, though, with all the research and communications I've followed through, I have never heard of a "famous umbilical scar" which is okay if it's 2 scales, or any indication that an indigo with, say, five split scales is worth 50% less than one with 2 split scales.

Oh, over 35 years ago, I had a wild-born couperi with some split scutes.

Are you a member of Orianne Society?

We're all very concerned about couperi's long-term health....let's all try to keep track of the parentage and lineage of our snakes, for this goal.

Genetic weaknesses can be fixed in a single generation. Breed a South Florida snake with a South Georgia snake, and there will likely be no split scutes in any baby....at least, not if those split scales were indeed caused by shared genes!

I'm very glad that you've opened this discussion, and I hope that others will express their experience and thoughts. Maybe we'll both learn something valuable! There are some amazing biologists on this forum....maybe Vanessa will give her input!

Or how about you, Bob ? Tim? Aussie?