FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Indigo umbilical scar
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
Stanley M. Ordonez
Split scales- Indigo

Chris, I agree that there needs to be more discussion on the problems of inbreeding and split scales. The situation is that the breeding of indigos are very inbred. You hear of the lower fertility rates. Clutches that do not produce indigos. And the extreme is stunted growth and enlarged heads. Could you post pics of your indigos with split scales? I returned my red throat indigo. The main reason I returned it was because the seller/breeder sold it as flawless indigo. He said that I would not be able to find better. I believed him and did not questioned him . He is a large breeder with a website and videos. I walked in blind trusting him. When I received the indigo I noticed the split scales which were 6-7. This might be a low number for split scales and might even be a great indigo in todays market. But that did not fit the definition of flawless. Needles to say he was not happy and neither was I. But enough of this. There needs to be better records and care in breeding these wonderful indigos. I have since purchased a Texas Indigo and he is in great shape and what I would expect from one in the wild. I have not given hope as I hope to post a "flawless'' red throat indigo before summer. She is on hold till my permit is granted. I have been unable to find good red throat indigos in California and would like to find a small time breeder with high standards. Sorry for the long post. Please post pics and lets hear your thoughts . Thank you, Stan Ordonez