FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy John Wilson adamsbraown67@gmail.com SCAM
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #72
Gargoyle Queen
This lovely individual (Matthew John/John Wilson adamsbraown67@gmail.com) emailed me 8 days ago with the typical 'what is the final asking price' inquiry. I handled the inquiry like I do all inquiries and requested that they fill out my purchase questionnaire (where relevant information such as name, shipping address, phone number, enclosure size, diet, etc is filled out). They never acknowledged that request and the emails continued every couple days. After 6 requests for the questionnaire filled out, a cashiers check arrived in my PO Box (today). They had emailed me the following this morning:

"I just got a confirmation from USPS that you will get payment on today.This is urgent and I need your. I just found out that my Assistant overpaid you. However I want to believe I wont have a problem with you on this. Once you receive the payment, please follow my instruction go ahead and have it deposited via ATM machine or on line mobile deposit or at your bank the funds will be available for you asap deduct your money for the item and extra $150 for the hassle i will send you details where you need to have my balance sent to."

The check 'looks' relatively legitimate upon first glance, except for the fact that the paper is regular printer paper thickness/quality. I contacted the bank (which is my normal protocol) that was listed to verify the check and after giving the serial number and account number listed, they said it was not a valid check.

I was suspicious early on, but always try to understand that not all of my customers have perfect English, grammar, and maybe aren't very 'tech savvy'. I used to check potential customers on fauna, but that tapered off over the years as customers weren't listed or were known with good reputations. I should have checked here first upon initial suspicion just so my time wasn't wasted.

The check was sent through USPS Priority 3-day mail from Hialeah, FL 33015, but the address listed was: Laurel Jones, 519 E Short St, Dale, IN 47523. The bank they 'used' was Navy Federal Credit Union. IP address was 209.85.220.41, which tags back Mountain View, CA and Ashburn, VA.