FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Panther or veiled for 1st time owner?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
artgecko
Dyscophus- I ended up rehoming the hognose to a local person with reptile experience and a mouse breeding colony. My hugonose was male and it was only after purchasing him that I found information stating that males can especially be problematic feeders. He would take live food, but I had no local sources and did not want to breed mice (I've heard they smell horrendously) so I rehomed him. I purchased him at about 4 months old supposedly eating unscented f/t. He ate well for me for maybe 3 months, then went on hunger strikes off an on. He was ~2 when I finally rehomed him. I think he was afraid of my hands or the tongs, which would put him off feeding f/t.

elena- I am lucky that all of my other reptiles are great feeders... So far my boas and carpet python take the cake though. Nothing beats them zooming 1 foot plus out of hte tub / cage when being fed. I am trying f/t ASFs on my two problem BPs now and it seems to be working. I feed them an ASF, wait 20 minutes, then offer a small rat, which they take since they are then in food mode. I'm hoping to get them back up to weight, then wean them off the ASFs, which are crazy expensive. I once thought about breeding BPs...but no longer lol. I only own 3 and don't see myself ever getting another.