FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Shipping to be held for pickup?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Mikkwa
I just wanted to add a little side note from a buyer>me. I don't ship reptiles as yet. I don't breed any of mine, but I have bought the majority of mine online, a great many from Fauna Classifieds. The first time I had a shipment sent to me it was a couple of tortoises & that's when I found out my FedEx driver doesn't get to my home til after 4:30 p.m with live shipments. I was beside myself with worry that my tortoises were cooking in the truck as this was in June in Texas. I called the 800 # for fedEx and they called me back after talking to the driver. I was politely told that he would be by my house between 4:30-5:30 p.m. & that is standard since I live off the main route & in the country. Luckily, the tortoises were in good shape, me not so much.

Since that day, I have insisted that all my shipments be held at the closest FedEx hub (where the planes fly in with cargo & packages) & I always give the shipper the address to the hub so that they have all they need before the shipping date. The closest one to me is in Abilene, Tx. & that is a 60 mile one way trip for me, but I gladly drive it for piece of mind that my babies are safe & secure til in my possession. The lady there doesn't even need to see my DL anymore, she just asks, "What is it this time?"

I have had a couple of shipments that the shipper forgot to put a hold on the package for pick up & that is no biggie. Once I get the tracking number & bring up the page for it, it has a place to ask for the package to be held by the receiver.

Just a little FYI from someone on the other end of the shipping process. When it comes to the well being of my reptiles, I don't like to take chances!