FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - is it field collecting when they come to you?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Traci
is it field collecting when they come to you?

You may have heard, but Central Texas is getting rain. Lots of rain. My grass is high, the backyard pond is hoppin' (pretty literally with all the visiting amphibians at night). And now the snakes are arriving - and during the day to boot.

Last Sunday the following critters were in the backyard.

1) lovely bright green rough green snake. So cute, about 14 inches long roughly - must have been a juvenile.
2) a rather skinny, but longish (5 feet+ as a guestimate) bull snake. missing the tip of his tail, but it seemed to be healing up. coloration was a little disappointing, but standard blotchy brown on creamish.

These were both extremely docile. They allowed me to pick them up and remove them to the greenbelt and away from my cats - the dreaded reptile attackers - but not before a slight puncture on the rough green snake's side. I think the cats were scared of the bull snake, my husband certainly was!

3) a cute little hognose - less than a foot. he wasn't real happy about being noticed by the kids - he hightailed it under the shed real quick!
4) a spiny lizard - also a cat victim! we kept him for a few days observation to make sure he was good to go. He's the only one I was able to sex because he had the typical blue color on his belly.

Not a bad count for a single day in the backyard!