FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy Outbackreptiles.com
Thread: Bad Guy Outbackreptiles.com
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #74
JG1153
I’m sure Outback would like this thread to go away under the pretense that the issue has been taken care of and therefore this thread is not warranted but ultimately there is a bigger issue at hand than just taking care of this particular bad transaction. The bigger issue here is that of Outback’s unscrupulous and irresponsible business practices which is made all the worst because these practices are contributing and encouraging animal neglect and abuse and for that they (Outback) absolutely and 100% deserve a bad guy thread and the disdain of everyone in this hobby.

First off, why are these sub-par animals being accepted? Perhaps you think you’re doing a good thing here but really you’re just making things worst by accepting these unhealthy animals from breeders and supporting what they’re doing by continuing to give them your business.
I understand the point of “what am I to do with these poor animals?” But ultimately if you don’t put yourself in that situation and make it your problem to begin with by accepting these animals in the first place, doing business with these breeders and letting those responsible bear the burden of dealing with these animals then maybe they would rethink what they’re doing
Think about it. Here’s a guy who’s trying to get rid of all these neglected animals but since no one will take them then eventually he runs out of room and the cost of taking care of these animals becomes too much plus he’s making no sales at which point he either stops breeding or he gets some better business and animal care practices, etc… It tends to work itself out

On the other hand you not only allow for a venue to for these people to offload these animals but you also do business with them. You are in effect knowingly contributing to their despicable practices and the problem continues thanks to you (Outback) and for what? Probably because since no reputable dealer will obtain animals from such an individual you can come along and clean house at cheaper than normal prices which nets you a nice profit. Great way to profit from animal abuse.

I can also certainly understand trying to help these animals get better and finding them homes but unless you’re planning on policing the new owners or you’re sterilizing these animals before rehoming them what’s to stop these owners from starting a breeding program with these animals? In which case you’re again just adding to the problem.

Lastly I’m sorry but this whole story regarding “oh I just overlooked the condition of these animals while packing” really insults my intelligence and that of the others on this forum. You mean to tell me you didn’t notice those geckos were mostly skin and bones? Come on! I’m not a gecko person and have never really been into them or kept them and even I can tell there is something very very wrong with these animals and yet you’re trying to tell us you didn’t notice? In my opinion those animals were knowingly sent hoping the OP wouldn’t notice just like they were knowingly accepted from whatever shady dealer to begin with.

Ultimately it comes down to this “birds of a feather flock together” so if you knowingly do business with unscrupulous people which in the case of animal cruelty automatically makes you unscrupulous then it wouldn’t be hard to imagine you would do something unscrupulous like selling those animals in that condition hoping to make a buck.

Can anyone say animal cruelty investigation? Outback is probably not going to reveal who this "big breeder" who neglected these but perhaps if the humane society shows up threatening to hold them partially responsible they might not be so tight lipped about who is mistreating these poor animals.