FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Leash Training Crocodilians
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
hhmoore
Here's my answer. American Alligators are more likely to be considered "tame"...but their size is prohibitive. Dwarf caimans are a very manageable size, but they lack other "pet" qualities. Spectacled caiman are in the middle.
Now, on to the real issue. If you are talking about leashing a crocodilian inside your facility, that's one thing. Taking it out in public is another; and, frankly, it's a bad idea. I doubt that would be approved under the FL permit, and you may find yourself facing charges and/or paying fines. While some people would think seeing a guy with an alligator on a leash is pretty cool, others would have a far different reaction. Even if nobody says anything, somebody will probably call the police (voice of experience, here - many years ago, I had my permitted alligator out in my backyard...saw nobody around, and still got a visit from the police because they got several phone calls).

Oh, and one more thing.
Keep in mind that if anybody gets injured by your crocodilian while it is leashed, you will likely get sued. People do stupid things, like reach for animals, all the time; so don't think it won't happen. If you tape it's jaws shut, many would consider it cruelty....and argue that if the animal is that dangerous, you shouldn't be dragging it out on a leash (or loose in your facility) in the first place.