FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Central American Milksnake Found in Florida
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 10:57 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Accepting that the colouration suggests this particular snake was a pet, I think more sightings of non-native species may be coming due to natural movement as the climate continues to change. Already birds are being found outside of their natural ranges, so I wouldn't find it too odd that something that occurs naturally in Central America moves up to Northern America. It's not like they know where the national borders are...
Well, the problem would be that for a Central American snake species to be found in the Florida Everglades because of a migration event, it would have to come across the Gulf of Mexico in some manner, or else come up through Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, then cross the entire state of Florida without being noticed by anyone. Highly unlikely for that to happen with a large neotropical milksnake, I would think. Those milks can get quite large and it is not like someone wouldn't notice them in their back yard.

Perhaps hitched a ride on a boat across the Gulf? Possible, I guess. But still, in no way could such an event be considered as an "invasion".