FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - good beginner venomous snake
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 11:08 PM   #48
snakegetters
Seamus,

My first exposure to the non academic segment of the venomous keeping community was total culture shock. I ran into some people who pretty much fit all the scary stereotypes, and they were keeping snakes for all the wrong reasons. Those people do worry me. Yes, it's true that some decent and responsible people have lots of tattoos, or use recreational drugs or alcohol intelligently. It is also true that there are some people who fit the stereotypes because they are part of a subculture that encourages risk taking, irresponsible drug use and "macho" behavior. Those people scare me because they are not educated enough to care for the animals humanely or to deal with an envenomation.

Your personal speculations are a ways off base. It is the information that is important, not the egos or the personalities. When egos and personalities get in the way, people lose focus on the important things. I don't particularly want respect or admiration and I certainly don't work to earn it, particularly from any "good old boys". I prefer to be basically ignored on a personal level while only the actual information or issues are paid attention to.

I am sympathetic to young people because I remember being one, and because almost all of the young people I have met in this field have impressed me positively. I wish I could say the same for more of the adults.