FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Hello!
Thread: Hello!
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 11:25 PM   #2
hotlips
Hey, welcome! I can remember being "new" to keeping snakes so many years ago & wanting all sorts of snakes that I saw in books, including an African Egg Eating snake. Off-hand, I'm not sure how available they are in the U.S. & I quickly got side-tracked with so many other kinds of snakes that I never did check back into getting one of those. I'm sure you know that it's best to avoid w/c (wild caught) imports, as they are usually heavily parasitized & very stressed from travel, making them far less likely to survive than a c/b (captive bred) snake. So, I hope you can find one that's c/b...and if you do get one, please do share your experience with it.

Since this is your first snake, you really can't go wrong with a corn snake anyway...they are beautiful, good-tempered & easy to feed & care for. I'm mostly a "snake person" but I've had a bearded dragon (rescue) many years ago, & also various other lizards (geckos etc.)...I love them all too. Another less common snake you might look into (that's readily available as captive-bred) is an Australian spotted python. I've had one for nearly 10 years now...she's a great pet, full of personality, & a bit smaller than a corn snake. They do need a warmer cage than a corn snake, but since they stay small, their needs are easily met. Either one takes dead prey (fresh or frozen-thawed) with great enthusiasm from tongs, & both appreciate a cage with branches for climbing (<corn) or basking (<spotted python). Keep us posted?