FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Some Hot trivia
Thread: Some Hot trivia
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
Cantil huh. They are nice, and they really fascinate Me also. We have a couple here at our zoo. We also have a banded RR that I donated to them a few years back. Rocks are really hard to find in this area. Mostly I find them as road victims. US Stateside, I would have to go with the ridgenose being a favorite of mine as well. May have to do with the fact I've only found one in the wild, and never really "got My fix" of them. World wide, I have a thing for the Trimerasurus family. The few that I have seen caused this same drool you mentioned earlier. They are very cool looking.

As for the "poisonous" turtle. I do not know enough to make a claim on that one. Look at the poison dart frogs. Their toxins are developed from their diet, so is there some possibility in this happening???? I can't say. Now "venomous", I know there are not any around that I ever heard of. Many people do not know the difference between venomous and poisonous though.

As for critters........The weather here has been so screwwy, even I don't want to come out yet. LOL We have had a lot of wind and blowing dust from these storms that are dumping stuff up north. On the job I have seen the lizards coming out, but not one snake yet. My Texas Horned Lizard has not shown himself yet either. He lives in My yards somewhere and comes out in the spring/summer. Actually, the ants around here are barely waking up also. I have not actively looked yet though.

Here are the Crotalinae I can come up with...............

Agkistrodon
Atropoides
Bothriechis
Bothriopsis
Bothrocophias
Bothrops
Calloselasma
Cerrophidion
Crotalus
Deinagkistrodon
Gloydius
Hypnale
Lachesis
Ophryacus
Ovophis
Porthidium
Protobothrops
Sistrurus
Triceratolepidophis
Trimeresurus
Tropidolaemus
Zhaoermia

Now we need someone who REALLY knows this stuff to come and add the ones I am sure I left out.

Rick