FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Updates to the infraction system
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
WebSlave
I think Harald explained it sufficiently. But I'll put in a couple of cents here myself.

Certain restrictions are in place in the BOI to try to keep "evidence" of what someone says engraved in stone and can't be edited or deleted afterwards after someone gets themselves in hot water and wanting to retrospectively change their story. There is also the requirement that anyone posting such "evidence" on the BOI must take ownership of their words to try to restrict anonymous postings that can often turn out to be completely baseless if someone doesn't have to worry about being held accountable for what they claim. These protections are not in place in the rest of this site, and quite certainly a lot of people would not be pleased if I had to make those changes in order to cover BOI-type postings done all over the rest of this site. There is also the issue of the problem of valuable information about people and businesses, when scattered all over the site instead of being contained within the BOI, possibly being of no value at all to someone trying to seek out such information if it is not where they would expect to find it.

Plus, to be perfectly honest, the BOI is a bit rougher territory then most of the rest of this site, and I just don't want that "roughness" permeating every other forum here. Because then the topic matter that provides the seeds to those sprouts have been spread far and wide, and I would prefer it to be contained and isolated as much as possible.

As for an infraction "penalizing" anyone, I think you don't understand what the infraction system is designed to do. Infractions are warnings that if activities that the rules are designed to try to inhibit continue by a member receiving the infractions, then they will actually receive the penalty of being banned by ignoring the warnings. The infraction notices aren't the penalty, the ban is.....

I hope that clarifies things a bit..