FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - NDOW Straight up lies
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 05:49 AM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenson8011 View Post
Nevada Department of Wildlife straight up lied to me!!!!

I left a message for them last week wanting to inquire about the importation of an albino form of a native venomous species. NAC 503.140 specifically states that no permits are required to import or possess any albino form of any native species of reptiles. Just to do my due diligence I called them anyway to double check. There was no hesitation on the phone, they gave me a resounding NO. I quoted the laws to the representative and all he would say is that “They don’t allow it”.

Luckily for me, down in Las Vegas is Exotic Pets Las Vegas. The owner is a super cool guy who sometimes sells Albino Atrox so I called and spoke with him. Come to find out he was the one who sat down with NDOW and wrote the law back in the day. He fully explained to me why and how the law came into effect and why albino native are legal. It all started in order to sell Albino California King Snakes, but it was left so broad that all native venomous fell under it.

It kills me that sometimes these laws are so clear in black and white but any person in authority can just give you the opposite answer. But I’m not surprised since even the Supreme Court said it’s legal for cops to lie to citizens.
When you read a law, it is important to read the entire statute, as it may include language that pertains to the subsection you are interested in. For instance, NAC 503.140 begins by saying 'Except as otherwise provided in subsection 4' and some other sections. Here is subsection 4:
4.  This section does not authorize the sale, possession, transportation, importation or exportation of animals in violation of any applicable federal or state law, county or city ordinance, or any regulation adopted pursuant thereto.

You live in Reno, and Reno is in Washoe County. Just last month, in April, Washoe County has activated new statutory language applying to hots and requiring a permit for possession in ordinance #1609. Unlike NAC 503.140, no exception is made for possession without permit of albino forms of native reptiles.

https://www.washoecounty.us/animal/f...tic_permit.pdf