FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - baby savannah monitor wont eat =(..what to do?
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 04:23 AM   #3
Savannah25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
Just a few questions to get started.

What is the temp under his basking light?
What is the temp on the cool side of his cage?
What is the temp of his cage at night?
Do you turn his basking light off at night?
How big is his cage?
What did the place you bought him from say he was eating?

i dont know the exact temps off hand..but im gunna guess under his basking light its at least 100...and less than 120....on the cool side id guess 75-80...temp in cage at night (where he sleeps...around 82)...yep i turn off all lights at night except for the ceramic heat lamp...i have a green iguana (10 yrs old, had him since he was 6 months old)..but i have him outside now so i just use that for the monitor (its in his cage, near the top corner...couple feet away from where he sleeps under his cave rock). I ordered a temp. gun that one of the guy's recommended on here, so that should be here in a few days so i can accurately guage the temps in the cage, since its really big for a glass cage. Cage is 20 inches deep (wide), by 6 feet long, by about 20 inches tall. The place i bought him from told me they feed them crickets, and pinkies every thursday. This guy was the biggest in the cage, and the most healthy, plus he seemed friendly, so i went with him. I tried crickets, but like I said, he seemed uninterested in them...the 2nd day, i fed him one with a tweezers but thats all he'd go for. I put him in the sink with 5 crickets..he took 1, tossed it around , injured the cricket pretty badly... but decided not to eat it..kinda wanted out of the sink.

I have 2 basking lights in the cage...theyre above the glass..should i remove the glass and have a screen there instead? Im thinking i may since the other day, the glass cracked due to the heat..so that kinda freaked me out a bit.
Ill try feeding him a couple small pinkies tomorrow, and with a tweezers too, but so far ive hardly ever seen him ate food since I got him monday evening. Also, he's been defecating regularly, maybe once a day, stomach looks normal n healthy...kinda odd he seems uninterested in food, when from other folks they say monitors love food..hmm..