FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Better late than never
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 01:51 AM   #1
Geckophoria
Better late than never

Hello, my name is Jason Hooton. I am the owner of Geckophoria.com, which has been in business for about a year and a half. I am also the design guy for Protean Terrariums.

I have been in the pet industry for over twenty years, from one end to the other. I started in aquatics and reptiles while I was still in high school. I have kept many species of fish, but my favorite experiences were with salt water eels and African Cichlids. Although my focus is on geckos and amphibians, I have owned many snakes, monitors and assorted lizards over the
years. I can't say that you will never find other reptiles and inverts on my price lists, as I still have a fondness and respect for reptiles in general.

I currently breed 13 species of geckos and keep about 35 species on hand most of the time. I do not stock Leopard Geckos or Crested Geckos. Although I have some in my personal collection and may have some on my price list occasionally. There are many excellent breeders around the US. I look at it as if it were an intersection. If there were a hot dog stand on three of the corners, would you open one on the fourth? I have a few email addresses and websites on my "Links" page to help you contact quality Leopard and Crested Gecko breeders.

In my opinion, the more at home your reptiles feel, the better they will do in captivity. I am a big advocate of naturalistic enclosures, and due to my background in aquatics, I try to incorporate water features in to those set-ups that would benefit from them, as opposed to just spraying and/or a water bowl. My opinion when it comes to tank size is always going to be, the
bigger the better. That is not to say that i would suggest a 6' long cage for a Leopard gecko, or a 6' tall cage for a Day gecko. I do however feel that any animal that is kept, should be kept happy. So if you ask me what size cage you should have for an animal, I will give you two
answers.

Example:
1.) They will do fine in a ________.
2.) BUT I keep mine in a __________.

Either is the right tank to use.

As with any habitat or husbandry question, there are many tried and true answers, but what ever works for you AND your animals is the right way.

I am always looking for wholesale lots of WC or Cb geckos and amphibians, please Contact me if you have anything available.

I do not always have the time to post or cruise the forums, but I ALWAYS have the time to answer a question or make a new friend.