FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New house and a home "snake" business
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
jpman78
New house and a home "snake" business

I've been looking to move for awhile being as I'm in a fairly small house and my "herp" room is almost at compacity.

About a week ago I found a house, fit all my bills, had room for a very good sized herp room, walk-in incubator, as well as living space adequate for what I wanted in the rest of the house.

Saturday I went in to make a formal offer and was handed the covenants for the division. I immediately flipped to the "animals" section where it specifically said "pets shall not be maintained or bred for commercial purposes"

Needless to say I wasn't happy...especially considering EVERYONE (builder, selling realtor, buying realtor, etc) involved knew what I was going to do in the basement. The realtor got back to me on the exact meaning per the attorney and he said that not only couldn't I breed my snakes but they also weren't even considered pets. I laughed at this and said if it can be bought in a local pet store I'd say it was a pet.

They selling realtor said no one would ever know and being as they were in the house she doubted anyone would care....but needless to say I passed.

Since that time I have had the realtor look at atleast 8 other subdivisions and their covenants and restrictions and ALL of them disallow breeding for commercial sales......

I'm looking for some suggestions or ideas? A real estate attorney might be my next recourse.