FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - long term effects of hognose venom
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
CwnAnnwn
Judging by what you posted, it sounds like an immune response to the venom, not a reaction to the venom.

Immune responses to venom are very rare. But they do happen. Takes bee for example. I swell up like a balloon while others just don't react. The immune response to the venom is worst then anything that the venom can do.

Now the thing about allergies.

If you get bit 3000 times by a hognose, you may only swell 3 times. You may only have a allergic reaction two of those times. It may do some serous damage. But that does apply to anything you do in the day. You may become allergic to your cat licking you. Your dog. You may become allergic to bowl of oatmeal you have eaten every morning since your child hood.

The venom itself is of no medical significance, but give it to a body that is willing and able to over react, and you can get a problem.

But if you are going to say that you can get an reaction from a hognose bite therefor they are dangerous. You have to give up pretty much everything. Some people are allergic to their own bodies. No cats, no dogs, no food...the list is endless.

No, hognose are not dangerous by themselves. But can with a willing immune system, do some real damage. But it is the immune system, not the hognose doing the damage.

Here is what you need to know. If you get bit, see what happens. If it starts to un reasonably swell up seek medical attention. With proper medical attention chances of long term damage is zero.

I got my first hognose a month ago. She bit me right away. The hit my pink, chewed on it for a few second, realized that it was not food and spit it out. Cute little teeth marks couple drops of blood. Zero reaction.

If I get bit again, I will see what happens. If it looks like it is going to get a bad reaction, I will seek medical attention.

In my opinion, hog nose are safer to keep then dogs and cats.