FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Blood gene question
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #1
wvaherp
Blood gene question

So my wife and I went to a reptile expo over the weekend and even though I was only intending to look at some caging offered by a vendor there, I ended up having one of the other vendors there offer me a deal on a pair of boas that were supposed to be het for plasma that I couldn't refuse. Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking of the correct combination in regards to "plasma", so I didn't realize that hypo was one that was needed for this, and neither animal appears hypomelanistic in any way. Of course I realized this after looking into combinations that include the blood gene once I got home. This, in and of itself, doesn't bother me too much, as the one that was sold to me as the male in this pair seems to me to be a somewhat dark visual blood. The pair definitely appears to have some sort of central American influence to me, with the attitudes and mouths to match, so that does seem to line up, but given that there's no way they could be het for what they were marked as and the fact that I've only seen bloods online, I'm curious about what else they may have been incorrect about. For the deal I got on them, I'm not extremely worried if I was totally taken for a ride, but I still wonder... Once they have settled in a bit more and hopefully de-stressed I will add photos to this thread so others can chime in with their opinions on what they see, but I'd prefer to leave these two to relax for a while before messing with them that much. Especially since I just treated them for mites yesterday (along with the rest of my collection) after finding they brought them into my home for the first time in 11 years of keeping snakes...

For now, I was wondering if anyone has seen or has a decent description of the phenotype of the blood gene? I've spent a decent amount of time searching on multiple sites, but have yet to find what seems to be a solid description of it (if one even exists), or if any surefire markers besides the coloration for this gene are known.

I tried to get the guy I bought them from to send me pictures of their parents, but he has yet to do that for me (which probably isn't helping my suspicions).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!