FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Good first venomous
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #18
SofaKing
A copperhead ( A. contortrix ) envenomation will not kill you, the risk is higher in small children and the elderly. Cottonmouths ( Agkistrodon piscivorus ) is potentially more fatal then any A. contortrix bite. A envenomation from a A. bilineatus would be considered the most potentially fatal out of the Agkistrodon genus.

There are many Crotalus species that will light you up quick. I'm not saying about the toxicity of the venom, which there are a few species of Crotalus that are highly toxic ( C. tigris, C vegrandis, C. scutulatus etc... ), more towards high venom yields. Most common example are C. atrox and C. adamanteus.

I only keep Agkistrodon, Cortalus and Sistrurus species, and can say that Crotalus will always keep you on your toes. I would say a good starter hot would be a pigmy rattlesnake ( Sistrurus barbouri / miliarius / streckeri or a copperhead ( A. contortrix ) since they have small venom yields, potentially fatal and are more toned down then other species.

I think the best way to break into this community would be keeping a few rear-fanged ( NO Boomslangs ), they are hyper, most are mildly venomous and would be great to train with. But always treat them like you would with any other venomous species.