FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Introduction and experiences with PTS's
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
Kisha
Most of the infomation we have is either anecdotal, or direct observation. There are only a handful of people who are doing formal study of this species. I have spoken and read accounts of many who have kept Prehensile both before and after the import ban. Hobbyists only recently began to recognize the difference between the subspecies and are now trying to keep them separate. But back in the day, these guys were imported like crazy and you could buy a wild caught import for less than $100 sometimes. During this time many people kept groups of WC individuals together with varying degrees of success (mostly in Florida). Many of these original keepers do not have their animals anymore, so there is know way to know what sub species they housed together. I have read accounts of wildly successful groups and groups with high occurrence of still born/slugs. It is my interpretation that the less successful groups may have been hybrid groups. The Czz and Cza are not separate species, but sub species. The degree to which they are reproductively compatable is unknown, but in other situations of sub-species hybrid pairings can be successful to varying degrees, but is usually plagued by failure. If they were truly reproductively incompatible, scientists would have to designate them as separate species. I believe that there is the possibility that they could produce a hybrid offspring, I think that I may have accidentally had that happen (will need some help IDing my female, though). But, for the good of the species, and our emotional well being, the risk of failure is too much.

I hope all that made sense.

Kisha