FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Pennsylvania state law issues
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
Traci1
I have never been a vendor before, but I found the below info located at
http://sites.state.pa.us/Fish/faqampr.htm

I want to sell reptiles and amphibians. Do I need permit from the Fish and Boat Commission?

There are no permits issued by the Fish and Boat Commission for selling reptiles and amphibians. Our regulations require that with the exception of common snapping turtles, no reptile or amphibian may be taken from the wild in PA for sale, trade or barter. Also, it unlawful to possess, import or export species listed as endangered or threatened by the Fish and Boat Commission. For species not taken from the wild but which may occur in PA, a dealer or purchaser would need to obtain and maintain the proper documentation to show that the origin of an animal was from a legal source and not taken from the wild.

AND

I would like to purchase/sell/possess a venomous exotic snake. Do I need a permit to possess such an animal?

PA Fish and Boat Commission regulations only pertain to native species of PA. In other words our regulations do not cover any species not found in PA. Therefore, you would not need a permit from our agency. However, you may want to contact you local municipal government to see if they have any ordinances in effect that regulate the possession of “dangerous animals” or exotic pets. Due to some recent high-profile cases in the news of non-native snake bites and snakes getting loose in neighborhoods additional municipalities are adding such laws.