FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Info Ashley Caspillo-SakaraGT4/Sakara *Possible Buyer Beware!*
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #70
amercnwmn
Just to get back onto the discussion about "assumptions"

Ashley, you have admitted you "assumed things were ok, based on your pythons being OK".
I think it's been pointed out that was not a safe thing to assume when dealing with other people's collections.

I emailed Elliott R. Jacobson, DVM, PhD, Dip. ACZM from the University of Florida. He is the main researcher of this and other ophidian related diseases such as Crypto, OPMV, etc..

This is the email I sent, just to keep things neutral NOTHING about THIS thread, or your actions was mentioned. Therefore it can not be seen as an "attack" or "harassment".
Adrya gave me permission to use her case as an example for my questions.

Quote:
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 11:41 AM
To: Jacobson,Elliott R
Subject: IBD in pythons: a few short questions

Dr. Jacobson,
I am writing to ask your professional opinion regarding IBD and it's affect on pythons.

I have done a fair amount of reading in regards to IBD, including your information on the Uof F website.

One thing I have seen repeated in discussions of the disease: the assumption "if pythons in the collection are still thriving, it's "safe" to assume IBD is not present".
This is even assumed despite necropsy reports on other snakes indicating the presence of IBD.

I have a good friend, Adrya Webb who has been in contact with you regarding some IBD related deaths in her collection.

From my understanding, she received a necropsy in March 2009 indicating IBD in a boa. Since that time, she has lost several snakes exhibiting similar, and different symptoms.
Some of which include:
presence of tumors, head wobbles, noticeably swollen abdomens, presence of sudden respiratory infections.

Adrya has lost 2 pythons and 4 boas since March 2009.
Adrya's case is singular, I realize, but in both her & my opinions, the case shows the theory "IBD wipes out pythons in a collection faster than boas" to be unproven.

The reason I am writing is to try to clear up any misconceptions, as it seems there are so many floating around. I am concerned if this misconception is allowed to float around with no contradicting statements, it could prove detrimental to collections.

I realize not much is known at this time regarding the disease, and a lot of further testing is needed.

I feel this disease is not one that should be underestimated, as it has devastating potential in the captive bred collection.

I realize you are very busy, and I am only asking for a few short answers if you would be so kind to reply.

From your professional, medical and scientific standpoint:
After receiving a diagnosis indicating IBD:

*Do you feel a collection can be considered "stable" if there have been no python deaths in a matter of a few months despite initial confirmation of the presence of IBD via necropsy?

*How long do you think a collection should be closed (no breeding/selling/additions) after receiving a positive IBD diagnosis?

You mentioned in your report on IBD the "absence of inclusion bodies does not necessarily mean the snake is free of IBD":

*What type of tests do you advise one have performed on their snakes, and how often?

*How long after receiving "clean" results from the above tests could one POSSIBLY "safely" assume their collection is free of IBD?

I am hoping you will be willing to provide me information or opinions based on your findings, and I sincerely appreciate your time and research in regards to this devastating disease.

Thank you again,
Courtney Roles

He replied today. (To those who care enough to contact him, he really tries to reply promptly)

He included a PDF file on a paper he and Dr. Li-Wen Chang wrote in regards to IBD.

I will try to post relevant information from the paper in quotes after I have time to read it myself.

If anyone would like a FULL copy of the paper, I will be glad to forward it to anyone interested. Please contact me via PM with your email and I will forward it via email.

I'd post it here, but 10 pages of PDF with sources, references, etc is A LOT to sift through, and I don't want to deviate from the facts and have other important information go missing.

This was his emailed response to me:

Quote:
To: "courtney"
Message contains attachments1 File (3013KB)
10 IBDReview JexoticPet.pdf

Regarding your questions, please read the attached recent paper that has come out.

For some reason the epidemiology of the disease has changed since first being recognized in the late 1970s.

At first it was seen in pythons and then shifted to boas.

We believe that boas are the natural host.

The number of python cases having IBD has declined and we do not know why. It is possible that there has been selection for resistant snakes. But we just do not know.

Boas continue to be a major problem.

We now have a blood test that allows us to identify IBD inclusions in those snakes that have them in blood.

This test identifies positives but not necessarily negatives.

We do not know how many snakes which do not have inclusions in blood do have them internal in viscera.

The test is based an an antibody that specifically recognizes the protein in IBD inclusions. It is going through extensive validation and at this point we feel it is very specific. We expect few if any false positives.

I hope the article helps.

Elliott Jacobson
Professor of Zoological Medicine
There you have it. I hope this will put a stop to the misconception that "Pythons die off faster than boas".
Regurgitated information from someone who was initially speculating can be devastating when used in serious situations such as this.

We can only hope that no serious damage has been done here based on assumptions.