FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Eastern Box Turtle
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #10
MFLuder
Since mine was the most recent post, I'll assume lucille's was directed at me. I am not lecturing the original poster since it's clear her intentions were good. I was merely providing information to whomever regarding the importance of releasing an animal within the range of where it was found. Yes, if a turtle is on the road then it should be removed immediately, but in the vicinity. We may think it's a good idea to take the animal far, far away from the road but if it's outside of the animal's home range then this may very well be to the animal's detriment. The turtle will attempt to relocate back to it's home range so by taking it far away from the road, all that has been accomplished is providing a suite of obstacles between where the turtle was taken and where it's home range is. The turtle has a better chance of surviving if it's taken off the road (in the direction it was heading) and released within 500m of where it was found. Who knows how many roads relocated turtles will have to cross in their effort to get back to their home range...