FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Virginia Alert: SB477
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
existential
David.. fantastic! I will attend if possible, but if its on Thursday I don't think ill be able to get out of work. I have altered one of the usark letters to fit our situation here in VA and have posted it all over various sites (mainly craigslist and Facebook). Many others have copied and sent and you can feel free to use it. I'd also like to handwrite a statement, if you think you'll be able to read them at the hearing. The form letter is below. Ill call you tomorrow, if that's okay, regarding the handwritten letter.

My family and I represent a unique American Industry that has developed and grown exponentially over the past two decades—the Reptile Industry. I write to you today to describe how our hard work, job creation, and contribution to our national and state economy is about to be put in jeopardy. I very much want you to be aware of this dynamic because it strikes at the ability of Americans to maintain their jobs, family life, and their contributions to our American education and work ethic.

I suspect you have been approached by special interest groups that would like to end animal ownership and kill my industry by pushing enactment of the new reptile ban in VA. The livelihood of many of your constituents is at stake, not to mention the negatives effects on the economy that WILL be felt.

If passed, these propositions will be the beginning of the end of our industry. This rule, based on ignorance and fear, will not 'protect' people,. It will hurt American business and my family. More people are killed in car accidents, in dog attacks, and by lightning than exotic animals! Not only is the proposal unfair, it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Consider that the reptile hobby is a billion dollar industry nationwide, and consider the hardships our state and its citizens will face should this law be enacted.

With your stated agenda of sound science combined with your keen awareness of the reality of the world today, I hope you will instantly identify with my problem and make certain that I and thousands of virginians can get back to work free from fear of the consequences of the exotics ban. I know that you will want to do the right thing to stop wasting government time and money so that our government can attend to more pressing state matters.

Proposed bill 477 is prejudicial, economically damaging, and ineffective. As Americans and small business owners, we have the right to be a part of any legislation regarding the possession and sale of exotics.

I would like to be informed of any upcoming committee meetings or hearings so that our concerns and suggestions may be heard and taken into considerations.

Thank you for your consideration.